Saturday, April 4, 2009

Happy Birthday, Dad!


The heavy spring snow brought down a tree in my backyard. The next Saturday afternoon, here came my dad with his chain saw (he lives in Pocatello - not exactly down the block!) Anyway, my mom and dad came down and made short work of the task. I did a little work, but my dad did the most. By the time we were done, the tree was in pieces, my dad was putting away the chain saw, and I was huffing and puffing from my meager efforts.

That's my dad. He's the leader of the band. After years of teaching high school band, he's retired now - not in the real sense, only figuratively. He doesn't get paid for the work he does now, but you'll rarely catch him sitting down.

All my life I have tried to keep up with him. I have a memory as a young boy. I was running along side him as he chased his marching band down the street, whistling every now and again to draw attention to a crooked line or someone out of step. Parades in Blackfoot, Pocatello, Ogden. I can even remember going to lunch with all the dignitaries, including Cal Rampton, then Governor of Utah, at the Weber State Homecoming. It made me feel important, because I was with someone special - my dad.

Having your dad for a band teacher for three years in high school was also a lot of fun - once I got over the awkwardness of what to call him when I had a question in class. "Hey dad" seemed a bit too familiar, so it usually came out as "Hey...?" I always enjoyed playing under his direction - pit orchestras, stage band, pepband, bagpipes. And when the concert was over, I always wanted to hang around him so I could hear people tell him how great it was.

It's hard to calculate the impact he has had on the community. Countless city band concerts, musicals, fund raisers... I have posted one of his city band Sousa marches with this post. It was the concert in which I was mysteriously selected as a guest conductor (I think my kids stuffed the ballot box). I don't care how I got there, I was just honored to conduct my dad's band.

It's not hard to calculate the impact he has had on our lives. I have met so many people who know him, and have been touched by him in one way or another. Maybe he was their bishop. Maybe he conducted an orchestra, choir, band, or musical in which they participated. Maybe he helped them move, or helped pour cement for a new sidewalk. Maybe he hauled materials all the way to California to make a playhouse, and then spent a week building it for a beloved granddaughter. Or maybe he took time out of his day to give advice on trumpets to one of my NASA counterparts, whose son ended up playing for 4 years with the Alabama Crimson Tide marching band. Maybe he gifted pianos to some married granddaughters, which made it possible for them to teach at home and be with their young families. Or maybe he just brightened your day by showing up unannounced to help you chop up a fallen tree.

So here's wishing my dad a happy birthday. I can't put into words how much I love this guy. Not just because he's the leader of the band, but because he's my dad.

3 comments:

  1. WoW! That was fantastic! That was such a tribute to your father. I loved everyword of it. Made me tear up it was so wonderful. I loved the video and the music, what a great member of the community. Thanks so much for sharing and Happy Birthday Dave's Dad, from your son's tribute you are an awesome man.

    PS: I'll bet the only person who enjoys this post more than me would be your dad and mom.

    Co-Worker

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know... I think it's a pretty awesome post also! Has grandpa seen it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're amazing dad....that was really great!! Like father like son....You're a stupendous dad.

    ReplyDelete